Yummy side dishes; I always like side dishes more than the main courses and if the side dish is stuffed tomatoes than these are my favorite. This recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday in fact this recipe is vegan. Instead of using feta cheese I am using tofu in this recipe, you can also use goat cheese, ricotta or Queso Fresco if you want.
The flavors and taste is simply awesome that you would like to make this simple recipe each day. I somehow love the combination of tomatoes and spinach, both flavors complement each other and it taste just perfect. I am using baby spinach leaves as it is quick and easy to cook. You can also use normal fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped.
You can also add mushrooms instead of spinach in this side dish and to improve the healthy quotient more, you can add quinoa and goat cheese as a stuffing. Additionally, never discard the juice or pulp of tomato, reserve it as it not just contain nutritional values but improves the taste of the recipe too.
So let’s start some baking –
This recipe can serve up to 4 servings
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 pound firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- ¼ cup reserved juices from tomatoes
- ½ Cup Chopped celery
- ½ Cup Scallions
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, extra virgin
- 3-4 Tbsp. salsa dip
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. And Grease a baking dish.
- Now cut off the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out just the pulp, leaving the walls in one piece. Pour the juice of the tomatoes into a measuring cup to reserve ¼ cup. Sprinkle some salt inside of each tomato and turn upside down onto a paper towel.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, spinach, Scallions and celery. Sauté it for about 2 minutes. Then add reserved tomato juice. Let cook for another few minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat. Add crumbled tofu, parmesan and salsa dip. Mix well. Add Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Spoon this mixture evenly into each tomato till slightly over flowing. Apply a bit of olive oil on skin of tomato before baking. Bake it uncovered on middle rack for about 30-35 minutes. Keep an eye on them so that they don't brown too much. Then remove from oven.
- Allow them to cool slightly. And then, serve warm.
This recipe is easy and quick to make. Plus it’s super yummy. Your family would love it. This recipe is perfect option for your daily dinner ideas. And if you are still confused with the side dishes for Thanksgiving Dinner, this could be a really great and easy recipe to make. I hope you will like this recipe. Till then, keep smiling and stay blessed.