International Women’s Day is on 8th March. It is an event, which recognizes the achievements of women worldwide and to appreciate the beauty of feminism and courage. There are plenty of reasons to celebrate this day in fact in some countries, International Women’s Day is an official holiday, coincidentally this time international women’s day is on Saturday means you can relax, enjoy your day with your loved ones, do some charity and eat some cupcakes.
In USA, there are some selected bars and restaurants which offer Free Cupcakes for women. There are plenty of small and big organizations which conduct cupcake making competition. With this thought process, I am making cupcakes in three colors and some few easy recipes to go along with these cupcakes. Colors that represents Women’s day are White, Green and Purple.
White is for the Purity; Green is for Hope and Purple is for Justice. So, I will be baking three types of cupcakes in three different colors i.e. white, green and purple. Baking cupcakes is an easy task you can make cupcakes with the traditional method of baking or simply get a box of cake mixture. The tricky part is the icing and mixing the color. In this, white is the simple vanilla icing and later you can mix green and purple color into the same icing.
Nevertheless, I am using the cake box mix to make the cupcakes, here I not stressing into traditional baking or different style of baking but to celebrate the event and to live the motive behind the cupcakes i.e. Women’s Day. Although I am not following the instructions completely given on that cake mix box and have made changes to make the cupcakes more succulent and spongy which will make them more tasty.
Let’s Bake then –
Ingredients for cupcakes:
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3-4 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift cake mix with cocoa powder, cinnamon and baking powder into a bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Now take a large bowl, gently whisk butter, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract together.
- Add all the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake it for 15-20 minutes, or until and inserted knife comes out clean.
Now comes the icing –
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Green and purple food color
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix sugar and butter together. Mix on low speed until it’s well-blended and then increase speed to medium and beat it for another 3 minutes or so.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Divide the mixture into 3 parts into a bowl, mix green and purple food color separately and make an icing.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with silver dragees, if needed.
I hope you will like this simple effort. Enjoy the spirit of feminism. Happy Women’s Day!