If we talk about chicken stew recipe, even I am not sure about its origin. I mean stew is made almost everywhere Mexico, Spain, United States, Italy, United Kingdom, Belgium, Brazil, Romania and even India. I have tried many versions of stew across the world but recently I have tasted Indian version of chicken stew. Its origin is from southern part of India and if I am not wrong is called "nadan kozhi "stew in Kerala. I don’t know how to pronounce it, but I guess that’s the real name of this dish. (If you know the actual name of this dish, please share with us too.)
It’s not like our southern America’s chicken stew but the flavors and spices used in this recipe, is simply aromatic and mouthwatering. I absolutely love the flavors and the way it blends in your mouth pallet. You can serve this with steamed rice, it tastes amazing with rice or if you want you can have them with bread too. If you are worried for the spices then don’t worry you will find all the spices and herbs near any Indian market.
So let’s start cooking –
This recipe can serve up to 4 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Total: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 lbs. Chicken, preferably bone-in-chicken
- 3 Onion, medium, sliced.
- 1 Carrot, medium, cubed.
- 2 Potatoes, medium, cubed.
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger, slit.
- 2-3 Green Chilies (don’t add much chilies if you don’t like spicy)
- 1 tsp. Pepper powder
- 1 sprig fresh Curry leaves
- 1 tsp. Vinegar
- About 3 tbsp. Instant coconut milk powder
- About 1 ½ to 2 cups of Water
- 1 tsp. Salt (or taste)
- 1 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 3 crushed Cardamom
- A small piece of Cinnamon
- 4-5 of Peppercorns
- 3-4 Cloves
- Curry leaves.
- 1 tsp. Corn flour
- Wash and clean the chicken and keep it aside.
- Now into a heavy bottomed large sauce pan. Put in the chicken pieces and top it with all the cut veggies. Add salt, pepper and vinegar. And add about half cup thin coconut milk. Now give everything a nice stir and cook all the ingredients until it’s cooked and tender.
- Now in another wok, heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil. Add in cardamom, 1 small piece cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns and few fresh curry leaves. Add the cooked chicken into this. Pour fresh or instant coconut milk powder into this mixture.
- Bring to boil and turn off the heat. Add pepper and curry leaves if you want.
Serve it with steamed rice or bread and enjoy this Indian delicacy in dinner. Your family would definitely like it. If you have any query or feedback please share with us. Enjoy!