We all have great grandmother’s recipes which are to die for. But it is not possible for us to be indulged in them because they are full of fats and calories. Even it is not possible to digest all that fat, butter sticks etc. But it doesn’t mean that you have to forget those recipes or you have to through them out of your window.
I cook my grandmother’s recipes on regular basis however, I do make some alterations in those recipes. So today, we shall be discussing how one can create healthy alternations in the food and transform the recipe into a healthy one.
Below given are some ways-
- Substitute the butter with margarine: I have been reading a lot about how margarine is healthier than butter and honestly, I am convinced with the fact that margarine is better than butter. So, use margarine as a butter substitute for cooking. Even the bakers only use margarine while baking because it is light and it gives amazing taste to the final product. So, you can even use the margarine when you are in the kitchen and in mood for some baking.
- Whole wheat pasta vs. enriched pasta: while purchasing never forget to read the ingredients of the product you are purchasing. Substitute the same product with the healthier ingredients. The market is filled with whole wheat products, purchase them. Try and avoid enrich pasta as much as you can. These days even five grain pastas are also available. Purchase them instead of white refined flour.
- Restrain some ingredients: one does not have to follow the recipe till the end point. It is ok and healthier to cut back on some ingredients which are not adding to the taste of the dish such as cheese garnishing or 1 tablespoon of butter for that extra creamy flavour. As a cook, one has to make healthy decision for their family. Only put the ingredients which are necessary for the dish.
- Change in the cooking pattern: these days, so many techniques are available which can lead you to healthy lifestyle. Instead of cooking opt for baking. No don’t deep fry your food, it is always better to air fry your food. Never refrigerate food for longer, cook fresh and eat warm food. Frozen food have lots of calories and added preservatives. Also, never cook in large quantities, cook in small quantities and as per your body requirement.
- Cut down your portion size: this is the most common mistake people make when they are eating food. Always cut down on your portion size, never over eat and at one go. Eat slowly in the small intervals in small portions. Take lots of fiber in your daily diet.
Lot of people I know swears by the above given 5 principles to lead a recipe transformation. By this method, you can still enjoy all your favorite dishes and it will also not be reflected on your waist line. Live healthy!!